A Younger Perspective: Offering Youth the Chance to Tell Their Story Through a Camera Lens
For over 22 years, Youth in Focus has provided a nationally recognized youth development program using photography to help at-risk youth build skills that give them the confidence to challenge barriers to a positive life.
Youth in Focus has impacted more than 3,600 at-risk youth, ages 13 – 19 years old, through their core photography classes and partner programs held throughout the community. They offer classes in both black and white film and digital photography taught by paid, professional teaching artists and supported by adult, volunteer mentors which are held throughout the year. Youth in Focus also offers professional services including a photo booth rental, head shots and portraits. These moderately priced services provide the opportunity to work with one of their student leaders and ensure that costs will directly benefit at-risk youth. Through photography, their students find their voice, identity, creativity, and gain new confidence in their worth and abilities.
Currently, Youth in Focus student work is up in the community at these locations:
• FareStart Café @ 2100 24th Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144
• Amazon Photo Studios @ Rainier Avenue
• Groupon @ 505 5th Ave S, Seattle WA 98104
• REI @ 22703 72nd Avenue S. #A-108, Kent WA 98032
• College Access Now @ 3211 MLK Jr. Way S, Seattle WA 98144
• YMCA @ 2100 24th Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144
• Waldron @ 1100 Olive Way, Seattle WA 98101
• 2100 Building 1st & 3rd Floor @ 2100 24th Avenue South, Seattle WA 98144